Monday, December 1, 2014

Teachers

This was the song that was playing as I walked out of my 11th grade English teachers class for the last time. I had just thanked him for all he had done, not just teaching English, but for being there when I needed someone. The accepting nods when I looked to him with tear filled eyes as I headed towards the door, the talk I will never forget about what he called "The Too Damn Bad Box", and his always understanding smile when he knew my mind was other places and simply couldn't be there in class that day. I'm not sure why but this song has always stuck with me, and I'm very grateful for it.
I don't know what it is about the English teachers I've had at Lone Peak, but there is something different about them. They have always just... cared. Even when I thought I knew with absolute certainty that I was going unnoticed and uncared for every day. All I had to do was reach out, grasp at the air with my last hope and they caught me just before I fell. So, really, I guess this is just a thank you. Because I wouldn't have made it this far without them and everything they try to do. I hear that teachers are always looking for that "one student they got through to". Well, I'm one student, and you not only got through to me, but you helped me keep it together. I'm not much, especially when I know yoiu impact and change hundreds of students lives. But I want to say thank you. Because without teachers like you, our world would be truly lost.

"One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child." -Carl Jung

2 comments: